6/03/2009

My First Vegetable Garden

I decided this year that I wanted to plant a small vegetable garden. I had thought about it before, but rabbits are a huge problem in my neighbourhood - so I had given up hope that it would ever happen. I just couldn't see planting, and then having the little monkeys eat all of my veggies. But I found the solution.....or rather my hubby built it for me. Isn't is great? It's a 2 x 6 foot raised container garden - made from Cedar. It's small, but by following Mel Bartholemew's Square Foot Gardening method, believe it or not I was able to plant: Peas, Cucumbers and Cantaloupes (all of which will eventually need a trellis - this weekend's project), Cauliflower, Spinach, Green Onions, Bulb Onions, and Carrots. Isn't that cool. I decided to plant a bit of everything and then I'll see how it goes - what works, what doesn't and so on. Then next year, maybe I'll decide to specialize a bit more. Although my hubby isn't overly thrilled, I for one am pretty pleased with the way the box turned out. Stay tuned for updates - as I'll have more gardening stories to share soon I am sure.