Kaiser Craft Advent Calendar Part 4

This is a multi-part article.  Follow these links for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3.

So now that I'm fully assembled - I can start decorating.

The calendar kit includes 25 boxes and they are packed flat.  This means they need to be assembled.  They are pre-scored so assembly is a cinch - you just need to decide what type of adhesive to use.

I actually took a no-glue route, but I talked to a couple of friends and they both recommended using something super sticky like Dazzling Diamonds (SU) or Liquid Glass (CTMH).  Taping the boxes doesn't seem to work.

My no-glue choice:  I've said it before, I'm a lazy crafter - so instead of gluing my boxes together, I opted to wrap patterned paper all the way around them and rely on the paper to keep them in shape.  Of course this only works if you plan on wrapping the paper like I did, and you will need glue of some kind for sure if you're planning only to decorate the front.

Here's how I did it.

Cut strips of patterned paper to 4cm x 18cm.
Adhere one end of the strip to the back of the box.
Using a bone folder, score the strip (using the box side as a guide to score line positioning) and adhere to the next side.
Repeat scoring and adhering until the strip is wrapped all the way around.
Use a strong bond adhesive like red line tape or glue dots to stick the remaining end to the back of the box.

The trick to making this work is to be sure to adhere the paper to all sides as you go around.

I used the following two patterns to cover my boxes plus a little bit of another glittered paper by Best Creation Inc (not shown)

  • Rejoice Words Paper (Flair Designs)
  • Snowy Serenade Overture (Bo Bunny)
  • Unknown Glittered paper by Best Creation Inc. (not shown)
These pics aren't the best - and it especially doesn't do justice to the Bo Bunny design (which is absolutely gorgeous) that has a nice glittered shine to some of the areas.  Actually - in these pics they don't even seem to match all that well.....but you'll have to trust me - this will work.

Once I had the box covered, I used my Coluzzle knife (and mat) to cut out the half-circle at the front of the box.  The half circle acts as a finger pull.  Unfortunately I didn't take any pics of the covering process since I did it while watching TV.  Sorry.

Nonetheless, it's that easy.

Next, I decorated the chipboard numbers.  I considered a couple of different things here - ink, paint, markers etc. but settled on using Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels.  The Glimmer Mist was super simple to apply - just spray and let dry.  (Just remember to spray inside a shoe-box to avoid damage from overspray! There tends to be a lot of it!)  The Glimmer Mist dries quick and looks awesome.  This was a great choice.

Next, I glued the numbers on....and voila!  I used a liquid glue by UHU to adhere them.  I'm not generally a fan of liquid glues, but this sticks really well, dries pretty quickly, and I like the applicator.

Here is a sneak peak at my progress so far.  My next and final post will be the complete reveal, with the centre section all decorated.

To be continued..