11/12/2008

I took a bit of time to play today

As I sat with my morning coffee this a.m., I did some blog surfing. I haven't done this in a while, so I had a lot to catch up on and one of the stops I made was over to Artistic Paperie to see what April was up to ---- and there it was a really great sketch and companion Photoshop template. So of course, I just had to download it and give it a go. I have so much work to do that I really shouldn't have taken the time out to do this, but over time I've learned that when the urge to create strikes I need to answer. Otherwise I'm just distracted for the rest of the day and get little (if any) real work done. Anyhow here's April's sketch:

And this is what I came up with:

I'm really happy with the way this turned out. The sketch worked with my pictures perfectly since I didn't really have any really great shots. Most of them were taken from really far away so as prints they really didn't look that great. Being able to focus on specific parts of the photos within the small sections in April's sketch worked perfectly. I did switch it up a little bit as you can see, placing two larger pictures within the grid instead of including 12 smaller ones - but this just shows how sketches are like a launch pad. They are a great start, and while sometimes you can use them just as they are, it's okay to switch them up a bit too and modify the design to suit your needs.